Monday, March 7, 2016

Throw Away Those Pins!



Recently I was reaching for a pin in a students pincushion and pulled out an innocent looking candidate until I tried to use it! It was a thick shirt pin! NO NO NO Those are not made for sewing they are made for anchoring a shirt around the cardboard collar for packaging. Just because your mother and grandmother saved them doesn't mean you have to. They're still in their pincushions aren't they...

Throw them away and while you're at it  take a moment to inspect all of your pins. 

Toss any bent, nicked, rusted or thick pins you are planning on using. Now don't you feel  better I do! 

I'm not leaving you pin less get new pins. There are many good candidates to choose from.

One of my favorite pins is a silk pin. Silk pins can be found in different lengths from applique, standard and extra long. These pins are slender and easily glide into multiple layers of fabric while still keeping the layers pinned together secure.

It is also possible to sew over these fine pins when sewing together long pieced seams. (sewing over pins when piecing is another blog post debate)

While I am not endorsing any one brand over another and Clover hasn't  prompted me to promote their products I like and use them.

I recommend tending to your pincushion every year on your birthday. What better way to treat yourself to another year of great sewing.  

Happy Quilting,

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment