Friday, March 11, 2016

Shopping With My Hind Brain

Months ago my MIL shared a photo of  Gustav Klimpt in his studio wearing a painters smock. Fast forward to the gallery sales page who posted that image and are selling a replica of this same smock made of an indigo dyed cotton. (www.neuegalerie.org) I admit I'm smitten with this textile item. I think of it often and keep asking myself why I'm so enamored with this  $300 frock

 

 

True, I am an artist but not a painter. I would have no practical use for such an item but I still want it! Could I, would I wear it to an opening? It costs more than my little black dress. My friend Ginny, may she rest in peace, was always perplexed with the notion of why, since she had purchased a pricey gym membership hadn't she lost any weight. Would wearing this garment make me a better artist? Is it the evidence of an indigo dyed garment fueling my geeky  obsession with all things indigo?

It's a deep down yes in my brain. It's a vital connection to seeing and  touching the evidence of a notable artist who wore this smock daily. A simple necessary  garment used to protect his clothing donned in a subtle act, like breathing, to paint

Is knowing all this enough? Do I want to purchase this item to remind me of what I want to remember? I'm still entertaining the idea. One thing I do know photo of Klimpt with a kitty, priceless!

 

Happy Quilting Shopping,

Mary

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment