Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mister's Care & Feeding - Chicken Stock


My house smells great! The crock pot worked all night so I won't have to! I love having a food stash for those (most) days when I really want to spend all of my time in my studio quilting. 

This beats any salty, fatty, hurried take-out meals available. I know I used all organic ingredients for the stock. In a matter of minutes I can have healthy a soup, sauce or side dish ready for my mister.

Yesterday I roasted a chicken for supper. While It was still warm I removed almost all of the meat then put the carcass and juices from the pan into the crock pot. Next toss in -

1 carrot, 

1 stalk of celery  

1 onion unpeeled

2 bay leaves

4 whole peppercorns (optional) 

Top off the crock pot with cold water filling to within 1" from the top. Set to low and cook 8-16 hours and voila! Strain the stock and let cool. When cool, remove any fat from the surface and your stock is ready. Use now or freeze in quart sized portions.

Many thanks to my friend Denise for her method of making great stock in the crock pot.

Note- there are infinite varieties of  what you can use for making crock pot stocks. Any veggie trimmings, beef bones or turkey parts work great.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment