It's Summer in New England. Yesterday was a sticky hot and humid day. Today is a dappled breezy cool Sunday perfect for reading and quilting. I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning on my newly designated leisurely day. Here is my quick and satisfying summer soup to enjoy as a simple lunch or dinner.
Summer Asparagus & Potato Soup
¼ c. butter
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 bunch of Asparagus cut into 1” pieces
8 tiny red potatoes
4 c. chicken stock
2 c. whole milk
1 c. sour cream at room temperature
1 t. salt
¼ t. pepper
1. Boil potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
2. In a stock pot on medium low heat, melt butter; add onions and sauté 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add asparagus pieces to onions and sauté for 5 more minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and milk. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Drain potatoes, cool 1 minute until you can handle them. Cut into quarters. Add to the soup.
6. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
7. Remove soup from from heat. Whisk in the sour cream stirring well to incorporate into the soup.
8. Ladle into soup bowls and season to taste with additional salt & pepper
Serves 4 generously or 6 with a side salad.