Friday, December 30, 2016

Winter Lentils + Food Stash = Quilting Time



When I need a winter food stash for a salad, a meal, or a snack, I break out a heartier version of my simple lentil salad to buy myself some "Quilting Time". I don't want to work too hard in the kitchen but want wonderful results when I do.  I like something comforting and versatile to look forward to. Something that I can take to my studio or have quickly after a late night of teaching or sewing and still feel satisfied.  

 

 Winter Lentils with Bacon &Tomato

Serves 4-6 


 1lb. or 2c. French green lentils

 8c. water

 1 yellow onion roughly chopped

 6oz. good bacon chopped into a 1/2" dice

1/2c. moist sun dried tomatoes snipped

2T. red wine vinegar 

1t. sea salt

1/2 t. coarse ground black pepper

 

1. Cook rinsed lentils in 8c. water until tender 30-35    minutes. Drain and place in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. 

2. Saute bacon and onion until lightly browned and  beginning to crisp.

3. Add snipped sun dried tomatoes to bacon mixture stirring for 1 minute. Drain into a fine mesh sieve to remove excess bacon fat.

4. Toss with lentil mixture.

 

 

Serving Suggestions:

A snack- serve at room temperature spooned onto crisp bread or  toasted french bread rounds

A salad- serve warm or cold piled on mixed greens

A meal - serve warm over brown rice

You need very little to accompany this dish, a glass of red wine at dinner, or a poached egg on top of a salad is perfect for addition for extra guests who pop hungry for lunch.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment