Thursday, December 29, 2016

Too Much and Not Enough to do!



It's a wintry blustery day and I have a million things to do toward putting away our Christmas treats and trimmings. Part of me wants to take down the tree before the needles invade every crevice and carpet versus enjoying it's fleeting piney scent. What do I do? Nothing! I head to the kitchen to make Mushroom Soup. Now with my bowl of soup I spread out my quilting magazines that have been tempting me since Thanksgiving and enjoy the possibilities of what to make next. 

 

Mmmm...Mushroom Soup

Serves 4 


4T. butter

4T. flour

4c. Chicken or Vegetable Stock

 1 medium onion finely chopped

10 oz. white mushrooms sliced

1/3c. sherry 

1c. whole milk

2t. dried thyme

1t. sea salt

1/4t. ground black pepper 

1. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed stock pot. Add chopped onion and saute 7-9 minutes until soft.

2. Stir in flour until onions are coated. Add 1c. of the stock stirring until well blended. Add mushrooms, the remaining 3c. of stock and the sherry. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.

3. Add the milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer another 5 -10 minutes until milk is warm but not boiling.

 

Cooks Note: I used goat butter and goats milk in this recipe which I find easier to digest than regular cows milk and butter.  I have substituted and served this and similar cream soups to many guests with compliments.

 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment