Thursday, June 23, 2016

Mary's Tips- Appliqueing on Dark Fabrics

Little white square

When I applique I want to get comfortable and enjoy my handwork. I think about my chair, my tools, my lighting, and my time. Once I'm set up I don't want to get up! 

I started to applique this butterfly block and found it difficult to thread my needle working over dark fabrics. With my bifocals, holding my needle and thread in front my light is always awkward and ineffective. I break and lose my needle threaders... I needed a simple solution to thread my needle!

I hate to struggle and love to overthink my situation to find an easy solution. I just needed a little light source to hold my needle over to thread. 

The solution, a 2" freezer paper square ironed onto the corner of my block and voila!

Eye of the needle
Needle threaded 

Get a block together and try this! It works great and you can reuse the little freezer paper square several times before you need to make another one.



Happy Quilting,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment