Sunday, June 19, 2016

Food Memories- Happy Fathers Day



                                               Egg on Bread

 
 
Some of my earliest childhood memories are of food. Consequently and luckily I grew up to be a foodie and a quilter! The other day wanting to get to my studio early, I whipped myself up a  quick breakfast of Egg on Bread, and thought about it's history in my family.

This is one of my Dad's contributions to the family menu of memories. He learned this from his mom and he nicely passed it on to me. I remember cool school mornings having a hot serving of Egg on Bread and a "Man Lunch" to get me through the day. 

A "Man Lunch" usually consisted of an overly mustardy sandwich, green pepper strips, and a pickle all of which probably mirrored his own lunch for the day. Not exactly a little girl lunch! At school I nibbled at the edges of my peppers and tried to wipe the mustard off my bologna or ham sandwich. Sorry Dad most of it went into the bin! I still don't gravitate toward raw peppers or most pickles but the Egg on Bread is a keeper. 


Egg on Bread


 A cast iron or nonstick griddle
1/2 tsp bacon fat
1 egg
2 slices of bread.

1. Heat the griddle to medium low (ours is cast iron) add the bacon fat and melt. When melted spread  around the griddle with a paper towel. 

2. Crack the egg onto the griddle. Using a fork  quickly spread the cooking egg out into an enlarged oval shape while loosely blending the broken yolk and the egg white. You want a portion of egg yolk and egg white on each slice of cooking bread. Spread the egg out covering enough surface area to hold two slices of bread positioned end to end.

3. Place the bread on top of the cooking egg. Lower the heat and wait about two minutes for the egg to cook. I like to cut the bread slices apart at the butted bottom ends so the egg cooks through completely.

4.Remove from the griddle, plate egg side up. Sprinkle with  a little salt. Roll one up and start eating from one rolled end. 

Makes 1 serving.

Thanks Dad for this and many other things you taught me.  Happy Fathers Day.



Happy Eating & Quilting,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment