Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Entering a Quilt Show and Getting Rejected!

Recently I entered a quilt in a juried quilt exhibit and got rejected! I really liked the quilt and just expected to get in! Hmmm...lets review good photos, complete application, application fee, theme of show would fit my entry. After the initial shock I thought OK why ? really why?

I'm a quilt artist and  an NQA quilt judge, I've been on the jurying and judging end of things for a long time.There have been instances when a quilt entry I really loved just didn't fit into the exhibit and there was not a good way to make it work. (That is why I love a judges choice ribbon, but that's for another post)

When I jury I have to think about my commitment to the organization that has contracted me to put together the best exhibit I can with the artworks submitted and the gallery space available. Sometimes a hard choice has to be made.  Still it stings because just like everyone I want to be included, show my work, attend the opening, talk with other artists and the public as a nice way to offset all the creative hours spent solo. 

In the end I pull myself together and consider the big picture which is having a place to exhibit my quilts and my entry fee is a donation to support the organization. I am thankful for the opportunity AND I still have time to send this quilt to another exhibit. If I hurry I can print out the entry form, burn another CD I can make it to the post office before 5:00!

I'll let you know how it goes and if you need a virtual pat on the back for your quilt experience accepted or rejected, send a picture or a note. In the meantime here is the quilt that's being entered again!

    Big Sky Barn 44 x 36

                                                                                                                         Happy Quilting,

                                                                                                                                  Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment